Tuesday, October 30, 2012
First Thursday is a monthly program that allows parents to experience Montessori in the classroom. Writing: Before the Pencil is the program’s next topic on November 1 from 8:45 - 9:30 a.m. in the Treehouse Room.
Pin-pushing. For a child in Children's House this is big work. It starts with an outline of a leaf or contintent, a piece of carpet, and a push pin. Carefully poking each dot of the outlined picture. One at a time. All the way around the shape. Imagine the concentration, attention span, and pincer grasp the child is developing to complete this work. These are the same skills the child will use when she learns to write. This is just one example that will be featured at this month’s First Thursday program.
All families are welcome to attend First Thursday, including families currently at other levels. First Thursday is a chance for parents and friends of the community to learn more about Montessori through the eyes of children, teachers and other Montessori parents.
Upcoming First Thursday programs:
- December 6: Student Services and Their Role in Your Child’s Classroom by Jacque and Nikki
- February 7: Hola and Bonjour: Exploring World Languages by Lorena, Margaret and Cory
- March 7: Reading, Writing, Singing and Dancing! by Risa and Amy W.
- April 11: Montessori Math: Exploring the Bead Cabinet by Brandi and Amy L.
- May 2: Montessori in Your Home by Nikki and Wendi