Founded in 1975 as a small Montessori preschool, West Side Montessori has grown to become the largest private Montessori school in Ohio and one of the largest and most successful private Montessori schools in the United States. The school, currently serving nearly 400 children from 13 months through 8th grade, is accredited by the American Montessori Society, and chartered by the Ohio Department of Education.
What's involved with an AMS School Accreditation
West Side Montessori was recently reaccredited through the American Montessori Society in the spring of 2015. Accreditation begins with an intensive self-study, by the school, involving the school’s entire community- students, staff, faculty, administration, board members, and parents.
During the process, every aspect of the school is examined and documented, including governance, curriculum, fiscal personnel policies, facilities, health and safety practices, teacher preparation, and learner outcomes.
At the end of the self-study period, a thorough onsite peer visit is conducted. After identifying both strengths and areas for improvement, the school commits to a strategic plan that incorporates the recommendations of its peer review team.
All AMS accredited schools must maintain compliance with school accreditation standards and be on a path of continuous improvement. Each accredited school submits a yearly report outlining progress toward the objectives in its strategic plan.
Below are a list of commendations and recommendations WSM received from the peer vistation committee:
- Founder and Head of School, Lynn Fisher. She embodies the heart and soul of West Side Montessori. Her spirit of caring, nurturing, and inspiring staff, parents, and children, on a daily basis, over four decades is an enduring legacy.
- The West Side Montessori Board of Trustees for their commitment, strategic focus, and actions consistent with the Board’s mission to ensure that West Side Montessori continues to positively impact Toledo and Perrysburg-area families and their children for decades to come.
- The Six Directors who comprise the Directors Circle. They exemplify “community” in its purest form and serve as connective tissue linking the many facets of day-to-day operations.
- All West Side Montessori Teachers and Staff for their loyalty, energy, and devotion to the children and families you serve.
- The West Side Student Services Team for their dedication, professionalism, and creativity in meeting the diverse needs of the students you serve.
- The West Side Montessori School Community of parents, staff, and children for a strong sense of “family,” palpable in the hallways and voiced in all conversations and interactions with parents and staff.
- The Children of West Side Montessori School who are exemplars of “grace and courtesy.”
- Respectfully recommends that the school continue to define, develop, and strengthen the vision for the West Side Montessori professional culture across all program levels and campuses so that teams exemplify a ”one school vision” that results in the mission of West Side Montessori becoming a reality in the lives of the children and families they serve.
- Recommends that West Side Montessori develop and implement a formalized curriculum scope and sequence from Toddler through grade 8.
- Recommends that West Side Montessori review and revise current assessment practices and develop a comprehensive and uniform system of developmentally appropriate assessment tools, to accompany the scope and sequence of curriculum and guide instructional practice.