Care of the Earth & Outdoor Environment
‘Care of environment’ exercises foster love for the environment, help children connect and engage with nature, and encourage the child to interact with the environment, exhibiting respect and love. Such exercises also help the child form a connection with their home environment, in which they find a personal responsibility towards it.
Our earth should be protected so its precious resources can be available to us for many years to come. It is never too early to start teaching children the importance of keeping our planet clean and learning how to reduce, reuse, and recycle. With a little guidance and supervision, kids can get creative helping and celebrating the earth.
Even children as young as toddlers and twos can participate in many aspects of daily care in their homes!
Teach your children the importance of keeping the earth and their home environments clean with these easy activities for the whole family:
- Bagging leaves
- Sorting recycling materials
- Picking up garbage in the neighborhood
- Shopping with reusable tote bags
- Reducing waste and buying in bulk
- Shopping at farmer’s markets & buy local produce
- Growing your own vegetables
- Walking or riding your bike to school
- Pay attention to how you use water
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room
- Use biodegradable products
- Stop using plastic whenever possible
- Plant a tree
West Side Montessori is an independent, accredited Montessori school educating children 13 months through 8th grade (preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school) with locations at 13587 Roachton Rd in Perrysburg, Ohio, and 7115 W. Bancroft Street in Toledo, Ohio.