June 2013: Letter from Lynn
An update about happenings at West Side Montessori:
Spring Fundraiser a Runaway Success
Many thanks to everyone who helped to support our Decked Out for the Derby fundraiser in May. More than $100,000 was raised to support the school. Special kudos to Catherine Summers and her volunteer team who made the magic happen. The committee has created a brief survey regarding this year’s spring fundraiser. Click here to provide feedback to the planning committee.
Natural Playground Development
The grass is finally growing! A variety of hardwood trees have been planted. The Little House shed has been moved to prepare for a tricycle trail and sand play area. Plans are being finalized for a large hill to be constructed this summer that will provide many imaginative play possibilities for Children’s House students. Classroom gardens will be readied for fall planting. We’re making progress step-by-step.
Perrysburg Land Acquisition
The Board voted at the May meeting to purchase the corner lot next to Perrysburg Campus. This was the last available opportunity for us to secure the land for our future use. Generous donors are helping to make this unbudgeted purchase possible. Our heartfelt thank you to everyone who has contributed to date. Our goal is to raise the money to cover the purchase price.
Development Director and Development Assistant
Today we are posting position openings on our website for Development Director and Development Assistant. If you know someone who meets the requirements and would be a good fit for the school, please share this information. For the past three years Ben Roberts has shared his expertise as a consultant responsible for securing funding and for construction of our new Bancroft building and developing the fundraising capacity of the school. Ben’s knowledge and persistence during the depths of the recession are major factors in our success.
Our Amazing Graduates
As we prepare for 8th grade graduation this evening and are thinking about each current student’s many accomplishments and future plans, we are also celebrating the success of our 2009 graduates who are moving on to college in the fall. Parents often ask, “What happens after Montessori?” Here is a snapshot four years out:
- Kristin Darah – National Merit Commended Scholar, Sylvania Southview, will attend The Ohio State University to study finance
- Anna Davies – Honor student at St. Ursula Academy, will attend The College of Wooster for International Studies and then plans to go to medical school to become a pediatrician
- Carolina Fidler – International Baccalaureate graduate, Notre Dame Academy, will attend the University of Illinois honors program to study chemical engineering
- Parker Hack – St. John’s Jesuit, will attend The Ohio State University to study in the Scholars: Sports and Wellness Program
- Sachin Jindal – St. John’s Jesuit, will attend The Ohio State University
- Madeline Kaplan –Salutatorian and International Baccalaureate graduate, Notre Dame Academy, will attend Yale University to study history or American Studies
- Kelsey Laurerer – National Honor Society, Hilton Head Prep School, will attend Santa Barbara City College and then transfer to the University of California
- Beth Ann Less – Valedictorian, St. Ursula Academy, will attend the University of Michigan to study engineering
- Daniel Miller – creative writing honors graduate, Western Reserve Academy, will attend Knox College to study creative writing
- Priyanka Pitroda – Honor student and Mock Trial competitor at Sylvania Southview, will attend The Ohio State University to study biological sciences
- Rachel Reeves – St. Ursula Academy, will attend The Ohio State University to study business
- Matt Riordan – St. John’s Jesuit, will attend George Washington University to study business
- Tommy Sandwisch – St. John’s Jesuit, will attend The Ohio State University to study pre-medicine
- Allison Sheehan – co-captain rowing and swim teams, St. Ursula Academy, will attend the University of Michigan to study business
- Victoria Sidell – St. Ursula Academy, will attend Texas Christian University
- Jacob Sigman – National Merit Commended Scholar, St. John’s Jesuit, will attend the University of Michigan to study international relations
- Molly Wheeler – Salutatorian, Sylvania Northview, will attend Ohio Northern University to study pharmacy
There will be plenty of action at West Side this summer with summer camp in full swing, renovations to accommodate the new Upper Elementary classroom, and continued outdoor improvements. Have a safe and fun-filled summer.
I look forward to seeing everyone in the fall.This entry was posted in Head of School. Bookmark the permalink.