Emerald Room News
Emerald Room is a Children’s House classroom on the Perrysburg Campus. Jenni Miller and Tricia Miller-Purvis are the classroom’s co-teachers.
Great to See You!
Posted by Emerald
What a beautiful day to kick-off the school year and WSM’s 40th Birthday Celebration! So glad to see so many happy faces talking, dancing, playing, and celebrating a place we call home. Happy Birthday West Side!
Come to Celebrate and Hear the Exciting News!
Posted by West Side Montessori
Sweet September Sundae Begins at 2 p.m.
West Side Montessori is excited to share its 40th Birthday surprise with ALL its families at Sweet September Sundae today. The festivities begin at 2 p.m. at the Toledo Campus (7115 Bancroft) with fun activities for the WHOLE family – bouncy houses, games, student-led trail walks, music! Bring your folding chairs and blankets to picnic on pizza, watermelon, ice cream sundaes, and, of course, BIRTHDAY CAKE.
At 3 p.m., Lynn Fisher, WSM’s founder and head of school, will gather everyone on the McMaster Middle School porch for her surprise announcement! Following the announcement, the activities will continue until 4:30 p.m.
The weather looks perfect, so plan on joining us for the annual fall tradition!
And so it begins…
Posted by Emerald
The classroom is buzzing with activity and learning is underway! The first two weeks of the school year are thoughtfully paced and the environment is carefully prepared with the interests and needs of the children in mind.
“The environment itself will teach the child, if every error he makes is manifest to him, without the intervention of a parent of teacher, who should remain a quiet observer of all that happens.” ~ Maria Montessori
The moment the children arrive at school their work for the day begins. We have demonstrated every skill necessary for experiencing a full day of independent success in the classroom. The skills presented were:
1) Finding their cubby and hanging their belongings
2) Changing their shoes
3) Washing their hands
4) Using the bathroom
5) Serving, Eating, and Cleaning Up Snack
6) Sitting and Participating at Circle
7) “Making” Peace by Participating in the Silent Walk
8) Playground Rules
9) Setting the Table, Eating, and Cleaning Up Lunch
10) Using a Rug to do Work
11) Placing a Hand on the Shoulder to demonstrate waiting to speak until another has finished talking/listening
12) Experimenting with strainers, stacking cups, funnels, measuring cups/pitchers/spoons, practical life tools (baster, whisk, ladle, etc.), and sponges
13) Using chairs and work at tables
14) Packing up cubby papers and backpacks at the end of the day
Specific materials were also made available and presented. They include the:
1) Knobbed Cylinders (Objective: Stimulate the visual sense and encourage the use of the pencil grasp)
2) Land, Air, and Water Bottles (Objective: The Earth is made of 3 elements – Land, Air, and Water)
3) Scissors and Cutting Strips
4) Pouring dry materials in a variety of pitchers/containers
5) Open and Closing a Variety of Containers
6) Mat Man (Handwriting Without Tears Introduction to the Parts of the Letters – Big Curve, Little Curve, Big Line, Little Line)
If you are interested in hearing more about your child’s day, may we suggest asking your children some questions such as:
- “What did you eat for lunch?”
- “What was the funniest thing that happened today?”
- “What was the nicest thing that someone did for you today?”
- “What games did you play outside?”
- “Who made you smile today?”
- “What new fact did you learn today?”
- “What challenged you today?”
- “What is one thing you did today that was helpful?”
- “When did you feel most proud of yourself today?”
- “What rule was the hardest to follow today?”
- “What area of the classroom do you enjoy the most?”
Welcome to the Emerald Room!
Posted by Emerald
Welcome to the 2015-2016 school year! We are delighted to welcome your children to our classroom. It is a year full of possiblities!
“The child is both a hope and a promise for mankind.”
~Dr. Maria Montessori
To begin, let us introduce ourselves…
Jenni is beginning her sixth year teaching at West Side and has taught a total of 13 years. She graduated from Wittenberg University with her degree in Early Childhood Education. She returned to school at Lourdes University and obtained her 4th and 5th grade Endorsement. Jenni completed her Montessori Training at Seton Montessori Institute in Clarendon Hills, Illinois. She loves living in downtown Perrysburg, where she was born and raised, with her adorable, spunky, and sweet 3-year old Lionhead Dwarf Rabbit named Fluffy (as named by previous Emerald Room children). She loves bargain shopping (at TJMaxx no less!), spending time with friends and family, and doing all sorts of crafts.
Tricia is beginning her 17th year teaching at West Side. She graduated from Bowling Green State University with her degree in Elementary Education. Tricia completed her Montessori Training at Adrian Dominican Montessori Teacher Education Institute (ADMTEI) and continued on to get her Master’s in a Montessori Education in Adrian, MI. She has been married to her husband Kent for 19 years and has 4 children, 2 Newfoundlands, and 4 cats. Her favorite color is pink and animal prints are a personal flare!
Children’s House Back to School Potluck Picnic
Posted by Emerald
Perrysburg Children’s House Invites You to Join Us
Back to School Potluck Picnic at Woodland Park Pavilion
Friday, August 28th 5-7pm
Bring the whole family
Come meet and greet Children’s House Teachers and other Children’s House Families
West Side will provide water, paper, and plastic supplies
Please bring a main dish, salad, or dessert to share!
Any questions contact Stephanie Sullivan email@example.com