Coming soon! You will be able to read the latest news about the students’ work in Spanish class on the Toledo Campus for students in levels 4-8.
Posted by Spanish
Buenos Dias Amigos (Hello Friends)!
Welcome back to another year of Spanish (levels 4-8) at Westside!
We are off to a great start! Students are growing in leaps and bounds by producing Spanish on their own using the wonderful new program we implemented last year.
That program is called Accelerated Integrated Methodology or AIM. Here are the key components of AIM:
- 99 % use of Spanish in the classroom (total immersion) — English is only used as a “sandwiching” tool
- 99% use of gestures while we speak — commonly used words and expressions have a gesture and are used by the teacher at all times — to ensure comprehension
- the class speaks chorally (as a group) with the teacher at all times — this ensures comprehension and ongoing practice of the second language by the students
- using Spanish in raps, songs, plays, games and opening and ending classroom procedures
- maintaining a low-anxiety environment which encourages students to express themselves freely in Spanish
- interesting, cultural and relevant content to motivate students to want to learn as much as they can
- small-group and partner work in which students practice their writing, speaking and reading skills in a manner that promotes team work
Well, here’s looking forward to the amazing journey that lies before us. I look forward to working with you and your children as we embark on another exciting and fruitful school year in the wonderful world of Spanish.
Saludos cordiales (warm greetings),
Spanish Teacher (levels 4-8)